Saturday 4 January 2014

Digi Pak Reflection

When I created my digi pak I had a number of key concepts to include. I wanted the ancillary products to tie in well with eachother, so with this in mind made both products mirror eachother. The purpose of this was so I could build a greater relationship with my audience who would be viewing the artist on both products. After looking a variety of other digi paks i was able to take on board key ideas. When looking at Florence and the Machines 'lungs' album I coulld see that dynamic iconography which is convention of the indie genre was used and I wanted to recreate this in my own work.

My digi pak was editing using photoshop cs4. I followed the conventions of the indie genre by using simplistic images editing in a dynamic way. A variety of effects also created an interesting vibe to each page of the digi pak, and the vintage filters over the images again are typical from an edgey artist. I also photographed Georgia numerous times with her own guitar which is typical for an indie artist as her instrument is clearly displayed indicating she is serious about music and that the songs she sings are meaningful to here which further builds a relationship with the audience. For the CD itself I followed my chosen motif of torn paper and also included an image of a girl holding a sparkler. This makes the artist appear more dynamic as the image has connotations of 'playing with fire' and danger which again following the study of Dyers theory appeals to a wide audience.

Our target audience is young adults and teenagers typically between the ages of 13 and 24. I think the image represented within this Digi pak overall appeals to this niche market as the artist appears rebellious and talented which is something that the indie music genre promotes through live music and out there clothing. The outfit chosen for our artist to wear is edgey and different. The Denim shirt and bright red bandanna promotes the image of a quirky individual. This makes the ancillary product more of a success as the target audience particularly the lower end of the age spectrum will be highly influence by Georgia's fashion choices and will wish to imitate her. The typography for the album also is typical of the indie genre as it appears bright and mysterious with the album name 'gypsy night' being chosen as an out of the ordinary concept which is considered different by a mainstream audience and will make the album more successful. I wanted to show the artist smiling, something that is more conventional of the pop genre. However my doing this I feel the audience can relate to Georgia more and be able to picture her as an ordinary artist and imagine her as more of friendly figure meaning her songs are more in tune with the the audience. This builds the relationship between the artist and the audience which overall makes the Digi pak more of a success.

The tools most commonly used was the paintbrush aswell as the layer and opacity tools. This was used in order to convey to the conventions of indie and also promote our artist through surreal and edgey images that had been edited to look dark and mysterious. The tools used were affective, as it made our ancillary products more diverse and also more conventional to the indie music genre.

If I had to make changes to my Digi Pak it would probably be small changes to the 2 pictures with torn paper down the sides. I think we could have perhaps included more writing to make the Digi pak more intimate and interesting for the audience. Perhaps song lyrics written with a dynamic typography and low opacity would have looked better sitting over the paper, however due to deadlines and wishing to maintain simplicity I decided to leave the paper black. Overall I am extremly please with the result and think all 3 products work well together and follow strong conventions of an indie artist.


1 comment:

  1. Within your introduction, to started to describe some of the inspirations that you gained from your research, but this needs to be explored in further detail. Your analysis of your own design demonstrates some understanding of the choices and decisions that you made to your digipak and how it follows the codes and conventions.

    How will you share this with your group?

    ReplyDelete